Sunday, July 6, 2008

MR "I AM DEFIANT!!!!" ...MIC SKILLS




As the Featured Artist of the Houston staple event Mission Control he has built a legacy of memorable events featuring passionate stage performances.

The honesty in his songs is a rarity that consistently pushes the envelope of artistry in a time of fabricated personas. The sharp, in-your-face lyrics will smack you in the head and then at other times they calmly convey his deepest thoughts on an array of topics.

Mic Skills has opened for several national artists, has been featured on and released several mix-tapes, but has now set his ambitions higher. His yet to be released debut album promises to shake the foundation of music as he emerges onto the forefront.


FLOSS: Here at IA, we want to reach out to all types of musical talent and your no exception…How you been?

MIC SKILLS: I've been great, business as "unusual."

FLOSS: For those that aren’t familiar with the Mic Skills brand name, can you explain how got involved with music?

MIC SKILLS: I grew up a fan music, certain songs have a special place with all of us, so as I began to rap as a teen it was fun but became serious and thought out my songs better as I matured.

FLOSS: Do you remember your very first rhyme? If so could you share a couple bars with us?

MIC SKILLS: All I remember was it was wack & corny, but I got better (thank God).

FLOSS: The Fever is a solid mix-tape, but you know everyone is anxious for the album… can you go into detail what we can expect from your solo debut?

MIC SKILLS: The title is "Defiant" and it is truly a concept album. When I came up with the title I had to relearn the definition of word "Defiant." Once I did that I realized that was me - Defiant!

It embodies My personality, my attitude, my persona, my style, my mode of operation even the duality of being a Gemini.

More than anything it is a bold statement that this is Mic Skills, Hate it or Love it!

FLOSS: What other projects or events do you have in the works at the moment?

MIC SKILLS: I am currently working on Mission Control Vol. I, Hero & Rad 's Album "Resilance", A Mixtape w/ DJ Nocturnal, Vertual Vertigo & Cooley Fly, Fever 2 plus remixes with Mike & Ike and Hi-Stakez.

FLOSS: Most rappers live at the studio, is that the same mind frame you have?

MIC SKILLS: I love being in the studio, creating and brainstorming, even if I'm not recording, but if the vibe ain't right or I don't have to be there I don't want to be there. Although I'm always thinking about it.

FLOSS: How long does it take you to write a 16?

MIC SKILLS: There is no set time, again it just depends. I've written great songs in a half hour and vice versa. In fact my verse on Three Kings (that I did with Hero & Rad) I wrote a verse in about an 20 min, loved it, recorded it, then played it for about a week. Came back in the studio a week later and freestyled it. But I don't do that a lot, I prefer to write it down and then record it.

FLOSS: Who are some of your favorite producers to work with? What are some famous producers you would like to work with?

I work mostly with Vango & Digi. We have a great working/studio relationship. Also I work with DJ Nut, Darren of Last Soul Descendants, Hi Stakez (Yeah he produces), Alpha 2020 (aka Ike from Mike & Ike) and Aktone.

I would really love to work with anyone that I could vibe with. I like so many different styles, Kanye, Neptunes, Timbo more than anyone Rick Ruban. I grew up on Def Jam and even the things he did with Geto Boys and Red Hot Chili Peppers, the music he makes, makes statements. I want my music to make statements!

FLOSS: You also host shows… How is that working out and how did it start?

MIC SKILLS: Its great! It started from promoters in Houston straight up hating on me. I come from humble beginnings, freestyling and rocking open mics, practically begging for shows. At the time I was working with another mc and he and I would share every show we got, which wasn't much. He got booked for a show in Austin and told the show promoters to give me a full set since I was his ride. I received so much love when I got there and as a result had offers to come to other cities and do more shows and tours which was a no-brainer. Once I got back I basically said no ones going to do it for us I'm going to make it happen for us.

The rest is history.

FLOSS: What is your vision for H-Town hip-hop scene?

MIC SKILLS: There is great promise and great performers. I see so many artist/djs with the opportunity to take off and become megastars.

No matter where I go I will never forget where it came from.

FLOSS FIVE

1.Hulk or Ironman - Tie, I'm into robots and technology, but you can't stopa mad man either.

2.Favorite upcoming MC - Tie Hero & Rad

3.Host or MC - MC

4.Artist(s) you would love to work with? Prince, Alica Keys, Lupe Fiasco, Bun B & Kanye

5.Hidden Talent - Amateur Chef

I want to thank Mic Skills for the interview you can check him and his music out @

http://www.myspace.com/micskillstheillest & Over at Houstonhiphop.com/forum

There you can find more about his upcoming projects and shows

No comments: